'The Muckle Toon'
Langholm Bridge, October 1999
Photo taken on the south bank of Ewes Water near where it joins the River Esk
The McVitties have long been associated with Langholm, Wauchope and the Ewes area. The photograph of Langholm Bridge, above, was taken from the bank of the Ewes Water looking down river towards the bridge where the Ewes Water meets the River Esk.
Langholm Bridge , started in 1775 and finished in 1778 was built by Robert, or Robin as he was more commonly known, Hotson. He was married to Isabel (or Tibbie) Donald. Thomas Telford the famous engineer and bridge builder, having finished his apprenticeship worked on the bridge building as a young Journeyman and there received his first instruction in bridge building. Being a qualified Mason Telford was entitled to make his mark which can still be seen. Thomas Telford was born nearby in the parish of Westerkirk.
To visit the Langholm Web Site - click here